Hey there! Long time no see. It has been a busy week with Loulou having fever and teething and sleeping like a newborn (newborns sleep a lot but with a thousand breaks, fyi). So I was not really in the mood or the position to write a coherent sentence. Things are getting back to normal now though and we had a great weekend, visited the Haarlem Christmas market and spent a lovely evening with our favorite Spanish-Italian family. Now I am relaxed and rested enough to share with you a new post. Here it goes…
(NOTE: this is really just a guideline of how I did it. But as the name suggests, you can just USE ALL THE VEGGIES in your fridge)
- 1/2 green squash
- 1 aubergine
- 2-3 bell peppers
- 2 carrots
- 5-6 purple potatoes (of course you can use the regular ones but purple look fancier)
- 1 onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 full cup chopped mushrooms
- a cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (who am I kidding? I am Greek, I just pour olive oil till a golden layer covers the whole pot. Kidding. Maybe.)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger powder (or fresh ginger root, even better)
- salt and pepper to taste
- a pinch of sugar to balance out the acidity of the tomato sauce
- In a big pot put the onion, garlic, green squash cut in small pieces and olive oil and simmer till the onions are translucent/ golden. In the meantime boil 1,5 l water.
- Add in the pot the water and all the other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Check if the potatoes are soft enough and serve or simmer a bit longer.
This soup is a great pair with garlic bread. You can make a vegan version really easily by brushing slices of a baguette with olive oil and brushing them with a cut garlic clove and then grilling for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle with oregano as well for an extra Mediterranean taste.