Last week I have been craving chocolate like crazy, but sugary stuff is definitely not the best food for a growing fetus, therefore I have been trying to avoid indulging. Today however I gave in and made a delicious dark chocolate cake. Dark chocolate is rich in iron and I also used apple sauce, in an attempt to make this cake a bit healthier. I wouldn’t say that it has the highest nutritional value, but it does taste sublime. Here is my recipe.
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup oil (I used corn oil, because we had some left over, but coconut oil and olive oil will do as well and olive oil is also healthier)
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 1/2 bar dark chocolate, melted (I used the microwave, but a bowl over a simmering pot filled with water will do the trick)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven at 200 C.
- Mix all dry ingredients first.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a baking pan.
- Top with nuts or fruit slices, if you like. I used almonds and banana slices, just for the fun of it.
- Bake for 30-35′ at 200 C.
- Let the cake cool on a drying rack for about 1,5 hours (of course you can eat it hot as well, but it is quite moist, so it will crumble).
And since we are talking about indulging, yesterday I made veg souvlakia too and we devoured them. You can make vegan tzatziki using soy yogurt, garlic, cucumber and a bit of salt. We used wraps, as I could not find thicker pita wraps at the super market, and we filled the wraps with vegan gyros, cucumber, tomato and onion slices, plus loads of tzatziki. I admit I properly (–> that was meant to say “probably”, but “properly” is closer to the truth, so I will leave it as is 😀 ) overdid it, as I had nightmares and a horrible heartburn afterwards, but it was totally worth it!