Yesterday we cooked some rice to eat as a side dish with a huge green salad. Today there was still about 2 cups rice left and I decided to make a cold salad using this rice and a variety of greens. You can keep it in the fridge for a couple of days, as long as you do not add the sauce.
- 2 cups rice
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 15 strands saffron
- 2 cups green beans
- 6 button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 cups rocket
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup broccoli sprouts
- 1/2 cup firm tofu, cut in cubes (I used a marinated one with basil)
- 4 tablespoons fresh dill
- sauce of your choice (it could be vegan mayonnaise or a honey/mustard sauce with maple syrup or agave nectar instead of honey)
- Let the rice soak in warm water along with the saffron and turmeric for 15 minutes.
- Put the steamer basket on top of the rice and steam the green beans while the rice is boiling. It should take about 10-15 minutes. If the rice needs more time, remove the beans and keep cooking.
- Let the rice and green beans cool down, preferably in the fridge.
- Once the rice and green beans are cold add in all the rest ingredients and mix well. If you want to store the salad in the fridge, do not add the sauce, because the vegetables will wither.
Enjoy with a glass of white or rose whine.